hidden identities

We all have covers. Hidden identities. Things about us that no one knows. But if you really think about it, behind every single instagram picture is a real person. Someone who wants to be loved and accepted. Someone who's haunted by their awful drivers liscence picture and student ID photos.

We all put out the best versions of ourselves. The versions we want people to see. The pieces of us we want people to know. We throw them out into the digital universe in hopes that someone out there might put the puzzle together, a puzzle that is completely fabricated. Because no one really knows me, and no one really knows you. No one knows that you fight with your parents everyday, no one knows that you're drowning as you post a smiling picture. And most of all, no one knows how lonely you are in every single way you can be lonely. Trust me, I'm not saying that we should all spill everyounce of our thoughts at every moment. I of all people have found myself to like the mystery of people, but I think that we should at least be honest about our passions, about what scares us most. What scares me the most is people loving the wrong me. The idea of me they've made up in their heads.

Because what if I suddenly left this earth, taken away by a tragic accident... no one would have known me at all. And what would this have all been for? Thinking about how many likes I'll get. Wondering if I was ever really enough. Why? Why the hell would I do that? Why the do millions of people do that everyday?

Maybe someday I'll figure this all out. Why social media ruined me and so many others at such a young age. Maybe someday I can use it to make lives better and turn the tables for once. Maybe there's this great big reason for everything and anything that happens to us now. Who knows.

For now, all I know is this: We all have hidden identities, dreams and thoughts. But I don't want to hide anymore. I want to be free. I want to let go. I want to be allowed to be happy, but for real this time.

Popular posts from this blog